Our history dates back over 200 years to 1776 when an entrepreneur named James Poole founded the firm that is now Carpmaels & Ransford. Offering his services to inventors for the sum of 10 guineas, Poole acted as both public patent official and patent agent, to help people through the complex and frustrating process of obtaining a patent.
By the 1820s, Moses Poole, a barrister, had taken over from his father and the two Pooles developed a large and successful patent practice. In 1835, William Carpmael, an engineer and mechanical draughtsman, joined Moses in partnership and the firm of Poole & Carpmael was established at 4 Old Square, Lincoln’s Inn.
A strenuous and persistent advocate for patent reform, William Carpmael was instrumental in the passing of the Patent Law Amendment Act of 1852, bringing about a complete overhaul of the UK patent system and establishing the patent office as we know it today.
The firm’s early clients included Marconi and Bayer, forerunners of the international clients that the firm represents today. In the 1960s, Johnson & Johnson and Allis Chalmer were introduced to the firm. In biotechnology, our pre-eminence is in large part due to our early involvement in the sector, prosecuting cases originating from the West Coast of the US. With the advent of the European Patent Office in the 1970s, our chemistry and engineering teams developed relationships with clients in Japan which persist to this day.