Isobel advises innovator pharmaceutical companies through all stages of the pharmaceutical product lifecycle. Much of her time is spent on contentious matters relating to exclusivity-driving patents protecting commercially important products, including patents for small molecules, combination therapies and pharmaceutical formulations. She defends such patents in multiparty opposition and appeal procedures at the European Patent Office, and provides crucial support for pan-European enforcement and the defence of nullity actions.
Isobel applies the perspective gained from her extensive contentious work to drafting and prosecuting patent applications at the European Patent Office, including those for new chemical entities, drug delivery systems, dosage regimens and manufacturing methods in the pharmaceutical field. She also coordinates the prosecution of global patent portfolios for her clients. She acts for some of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, including Novartis, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Gilead Sciences and Vertex Pharmaceuticals, as well as smaller companies and university spin-outs. Isobel was named as a Rising Star in IP by Managing IP in 2018, 2019 and 2020. In 2020, she was named as one of World IP Review’s influential women in IP, featuring in a list of 20 global trailblazers.
Isobel holds a first class degree from the University of Cambridge, where she was awarded the GlaxoSmithKline Prize for the Best Organic Chemistry Research Project in her final year.
Isobel is passionate about diversity and inclusion and has been active in IP Inclusive, an initiative to improve diversity and inclusion in the IP professions in the UK, since its early days. She sits on two subcommittees of IP Inclusive, running events for the support and networking groups IP Out and Women in IP.
- MA and MSci Natural Sciences (University of Cambridge)
- Chartered Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- Intellectual Property Litigation Certificate
- ORKAMBI® – acting for Vertex in defence of combination product and formulation patent in EPO opposition proceedings.
- ATRIPLA® – acting for Gilead in defence of formulation patent against five opponents in EPO opposition proceedings.
- REKAMBYS® – acting for Janssen in defence of formulation patent in EPO opposition proceedings.
- EXFORGE® & EXFORGE HCT® – acting for Novartis in defence of combination product patent against eight opponents in EPO opposition proceedings and providing litigation support.
- Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – defending multiple oppositions to platform technology patents at the EPO.
- CUBICIN®– Hospira UK Limited v Cubist Pharmaceuticals LLC (process patents – UK High Court).